Thursday, March 30, 2006

There was an interesting article on the CNN website yesterday, titled "Who gives a @#$% about profanity?" The subtitle was, "Poll says 75% of women and 60% of men don't like swearwords."

I talked about this in my post last Sunday, when I wrote about the standup comics who couldn't get out a sentence without peppering it with four- and seven-letter words. Once again, I'm not above using a little profanity for effect...but I don't think it's necessary to use the "f-word" and its relatives and derivatives multiple times in a single sentence. What's really disheartening is that the use of language that would break the ears off a marble statue is freely and loudly used in the most public of places, and in the hearing of children. And the children are picking it up.

I think it's sad that some people are so poorly educated and socially immature that they have to spew torrents of gutter language in the absence of anything more intelligent. No matter how handsome, witty and intelligent one may be, the use of foul language undermines our image and contributes to the growth of the impolite society. Like most normal, healthy men, I love watching beautiful women...but when they start talking like steveadores, they begin to look like old hags.

Why don't we all step back, take a deep breath, and decide to begin with a profanity-free day once a week? Or even just cut back to one curse word per sentence? I know it's a fantasy...but compared to some of the fantasies I could have, I suppose it's not so bad.

Have a good day. And watch your language!

Bilbo

No comments: