Sunday, April 09, 2006

It's been a glorious early Spring Sunday here in Northern Virginia. The sun has been out most of the day, the birds are singing in the trees, and although the temperature only got to the low 50's, it was a great day to work outside. I got new mulch spread around many of our plants, and was able to get the first of my herb garden planted. All things considered, a great day.

But even on such a wonderful day, there has to be a cloud on the horizon. The cloud of the moment is that Congress has once again deftly ducked its obligation to the nation by taking two weeks off without dealing with the immigration reform issue, and in true form, the Democrats and the Republicans are blaming each other for the impasse. It's a shame that "compromise" has become a dirty word in Washington, synonomous for most of our elected officials with "selling out." Where are the statesmen? Where are the men and women with backbones and the courage to tackle the tough problems? Where is the Henry Clay of the 21st Century? And does anyone even know who Henry Clay is any more?

I'm just glad that we have touch-screen voting here in Virginia...because it leaves one hand free to hold my nose when I vote. You'd think that in a nation with a population pushing 300 million, we could find 50 Senators and 400-odd Representatives who could quit bickering long enough to do their jobs.

But I'm holding my nose, and not my breath.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a pleasant week to come. More commentary tomorrow.

Bilbo

No comments: