Sunday, April 30, 2006

Well, I was pretty well spun up yesterday over the latest hubris of the illegal immigrant support community, but I decided to calm down for a day or two, the weather being as beautiful as it is and there being so many ways to enjoy the weekend.

Yesterday was the Day of the Yard, marked by weeding and watering and feeding to try and convince all our carefully-landscaped plants not to die on us. I also was able to use the toy I bought myself last summer - a power washer (WOO-HOO!!) - to try to clean the dirt and stains away from the driveway. It didn't work 100%, but the driveway looks a lot better than it did.

Today, I intend to tackle the Tarzan-daunting jungle that is our yard on the right side of the house. It has become an overgrown thicket of tall grass and weeds, dotted with big rocks that used to be part of my front yard landscaping attempts. I'm not looking forward to this, but it has to be done, if for no other reason than to eliminate hiding places for snakes coming up from the woods behind the house.

But before all that, Agnes and I will have the pleasure of seeing some old friends again for brunch. We had been very close once, but time and events caused us to drift apart and now we have the opportunity to get reacquainted. Life is too short and good friends too rare to not keep up the contacts. It will be a nice lead-in to an otherwise exhausting day.

But then, who wants to sit in front of a TV when the sun is out and the birds are singing and the air is ... well, okay ... full of pollen. Not me!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. I will.

Bilbo

No comments: