Friday, July 07, 2006

It's been a depressingly long time since I've posted to my blog, but I do have some excuses, chief among them being the wonderful vacation Agnes and I just enjoyed (more about which in a future posting).

In my last post, I said that I'd be offering my thoughts on medical care reform in the next post...but I've changed my mind. You'll have to wait for those thoughts another post or two. I found something worth immediate comment.

Victor Davis Hanson is one of my favorite commentators, and his website (www.victorhansen.com) is an oasis of sanity and sage commentary in the vast wasteland of the internet. His recent article, "Socrates on Illegal Immigration," beautifully summarized my concerns and position on this issue. Since his concerns mirror my own, and his prose is so much better than mine, I thought I'd share it with you - here is the link:

http://www.victorhanson.com/articles/hanson061906.html

Please read this important article and note his bottom line: "...once we as a nation choose to ignore our keystone laws of sovereignty and citizenship, the entire edifice of a once unimpeachable legal system will collapse. Ironically, we would then become no different from those nations whose citizens are now fleeing to our own shores to escape the wages of lawlessness."

Our tradition of personal accountability and respect for the law's equal treatment of all is the hallmark of our nation - it's what sets us apart from the lawless squalor that people stream to America to escape. Let's not ignore it out of a misplaced sense of social justice.

Have a good weekend. More thoughts later.

Bilbo

No comments: