Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Let's Say I Break Into Your House...

Regular readers of this blog know that I have very strong feelings on the subject of illegal immigration. What's endlessly frustrating in this whole affair is the overbearingly righteous attitude of those who defend people who flagrantly violate the law, then not only expect the violation to be forgiven, but also expect to be rewarded for this in various ways.

One of my friends sent me the following, which supposedly is a letter written by a lady to her local newspaper. I've edited some of the spelling and grammatical errors, but it's otherwise as I received it:

"Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely.

Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house.

Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say:

  • I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and done the laundry and swept the floors.
  • I've done all the things you don't like to do.
  • I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters:

  • You are required to let me stay in your house
  • You are required to add me to your family's insurance plan
  • You are required to educate my kids
  • You are required to provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do all of your yard work because he is also hard-working and honest, except for that breaking-in part).
  • If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm a hard-working and honest person, except for well, you know, I did break into your house.

And what a deal it is for me! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of cold, uncaring, selfish, prejudiced, and bigoted behavior.

Oh yes, I also demand that you learn my language so you can communicate with me."

I don't know if this actually is someone's letter to the editor or not. Knowing how things travel around the Internet, it probably isn't. But it does elegantly reduce the asinine arguments of those who support illegal immigration to a perfectly accurate metaphor.

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it: this argument is not about immigration. Immigration is the bedrock on which America was built. The argument is about whether or not we choose to reward flagrant and willful violation of the law. It's also about whether or not Congress will finally decide to grow a spine and come up with a fair and reasonable revision of our outdated immigration laws, instead of kowtowing shamelessly in front of a Hispanic voting block they don't want to alienate.

Oh, and yes - going back to the house-breaking metaphor: that person living in your house also expects to be able to vote.

Can you spell stupid?

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

No comments: