Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Fathers' Day!

As a father and a grandfather, let me wish all the rest of the fathers, fathers-to-be, grandfathers, great-grandfathers, and great-great grandfathers out there a happy Fathers' Day!

This is a good day to reflect on what it means to be a father, and how well we meet the standards and expectations of that demanding job. For me, the gold standard of fatherhood is my own Dad - always there when we needed him, hard-working, wise when we needed wisdom and tough when we needed discipline. Of course, being children, we always knew that Mark Twain was right when he said, "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

As a father, I have my good and bad points. Being divorced fairly early, I wasn't there for my two sons as they were growing up, and yet I am always glad to see how well they turned out, even without my presence - fine, successful men of whom I am enormously proud. My daughter, from my second marriage, is a fine young lady with a successful career who is ready, in August, to make me a grandfather for the fourth time. Proud of her, too? You bet!

How much credit can I claim for their successes? Maybe less than I wish, but more than I suspect. As fathers go, I have my faults, but pride in my children and grandchildren is not one of them. I hope I have given them something of the things I value: courtesy, a love of learning, an understanding of the importance of good writing and speaking skills, a love of nature, and an appreciation of art and music.

None of them are ballroom dancers, but I guess you can't have everything.

So to all you other fathers out there, enjoy your day. And reflect on the the fact that you have one of the most important jobs in the world - preparing the generation that will take your place. It's a job that's always difficult, sometimes thankless, but endlessly rewarding when you watch your children pass the milestones of their lives.

Happy Fathers' Day! More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

No comments: