Saturday, June 28, 2008

Cartoon Saturday

I'm in the sixth consecutive day of the Summer Cold/Flu from Hell...haven't slept well in the last week, I'm cranky and headachy, and I'm ready to take up smoking cigars to keep from wasting this mighty hacking cough. I need something to pick up my spirits.

It looks like Cartoon Saturday has arrived just in time!

I think we can all agree that with all the constantly-changing security restrictions, soaring ticket prices, poor customer service, and cascading fees for everything except on-board bathrooms (and those are coming, mark my words), flying is no fun any more. But it's less fun for some than for others...
I finally scanned this cartoon before it crumbled to dust...it hung in pride of place on our refrigerator door for years because it spoke to me about the economic realities of our family...

This one has been in my collection for a long time, but now seems like a good time to trot it out. Of course, if you live in Washington, DC, and keep up with the news, you won't be sure whether it's funny or not...

I have the greatest of admiration and respect for those who teach our children. They have a thankless and woefully underpaid, underappreciated job, and they can always count on some outraged parent to give them hell over the grade they gave little Johnny, even if Johnny has the smarts of an anvil. You just know that every teacher has wanted to say something like this at some point in his or her career...

And finally, this past week the Supreme Court issued its ruling in the case of DC-vs-Heller, in which the city of Washington, DC's ban on private ownership of handguns was challenged as unconstitutional. I wrote about it yesterday in this space. Well, while I must say I agree with the Supremes' decision on constitutional grounds, I think it's a really bad idea to pump more guns into a city already full of illegal guns. I think Tom Toles, the editorial cartoonist of the Washington Post, agrees with me...

Have a good weekend. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

3 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

More parent/teacher conferences need to be like that!

Meera said...

Nice toons!

Mike said...

I missed the toons yesterday. You tricked me with two posts.