Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Mind Over Matter Over Age

Someone once said of age that it comes down to mind over matter...if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Of course, since I've been out of my mind for a long time, I don't know if it matters any more or not. All I know is that I usually only feel old on a few occasions:

When I reflect that I was born less than 100 years after the beginning of the Civil War;

When I'm at work, and realize it's been a long time since I've been younger than the boss...and the boss is a Full Colonel;

When I'm at work, and realize I'm older than the boss's boss...who is a General Officer.

Sigh.

But I try to look on the bright side:

Not too many men my age can compete at ballroom dancing, and win;

Not too many men of ANY age can dance, period; and,

According to the commonly-accepted truth, nobody on earth is as old as John McCain.

Mr McCain, Senator, politician, and bona fide war hero, is as old as the old gray mare. Fit and healthy, but old, know what I mean? People seem to think he'll keel over at the inauguration. There's even a website (thanks to my daughter for sending this link) called "Things Younger Than Republican Presidential Candidate (Oh, and Did I Forget to Mention War Hero) John McCain." According to this site, John McCain is older than, among other things: Billy Beer (and if you remember that, don't make jokes about anyone else being old); The Wizard of Oz (the movie); and 5 of 9 Supreme Court justices.

What constitutes old is a matter of personal opinion. When I was in college, I thought anyone over 30 ought to be put onto an ice floe and pushed out to sea. Ten years later, 40 seemed the height of decrepitude. At 56 (which really isn't that old, come on now!), with 60 right around the corner, 70 seems to be a new benchmark.

It appears that old age begins somewhere around 10 years beyond your own age. I'm thinking of upping it to 20.

And while I don't care much for John McCain the politician, John McCain the Old Guy rocks!

And don't you young whippersnappers forget it, dadgummit!

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Uh my mom and dad are both older than McCain. I don't know why his age is such an issue. There are so many more interesting things to pick on him for...and then let me get started on the Obamalamadingdong.

2 worst candidates running for president EVER!

Amanda said...

LOL! What a funny post you have today.

My mother is 61 this year and she keeps telling people she's 16. She feels 16, is probably as fit as many but doesn't dare to dress like a teenager.

At the moment, I have my old age definition at 50 which is about 20 years beyond my current age so you're definitely right add those 20 years. I wonder if I'll remember this post from Bilbo when I turn 50. Hmmm.....

Mike said...

Mr. Gates is brewing beer now? I wondered what he was going to do in retirement.

lacochran said...

I think it's a cheap shot to make fun of McCain for his age. And... that website is hysterical!

craziequeen said...

[chuckle] I did like the 'Day in the Life of a Middle Class Republican' :-)!

To be honest, I did have to research how old John McCain is - wow, he is almost as old as my mother!
I don't trust my mother with the remote - let alone the Free World...

You're not old, my friend - you've matured like a fine wine.....

cq