Thursday, October 30, 2008

Life in Bozeman

If you made a list of the places you really wanted to see before you shuffle off your mortal coil, chances are that Bozeman, Montana, wouldn't rank quite as high as, say, Rome or Paris or Rio de Janeiro. Nevertheless, the city which describes itself on its website as "the ultimate dreamtown" has a charm all its own. I've never been there, but I think I like the town because of a wonderful website I stumbled upon a while back: The Best of the Bozeman Chronicle Police Reports.

Living in Disneyland-on-the-Potomac, I'm used to police blotter reports in the local papers that chronicle murders, assaults, auto theft, burglaries, and other sorts of mayhem. How cool is it to read some of the blotter items from Bozeman, as memorialized in the website:

"A man wanted to know if it was legal to carry a real sword on Halloween but did not answer his phone when police tried to call back;"

"A woman reported that a man was trying to break into her neighbor’s house on Chisler Drive in Belgrade at 11:35 a.m. She called back and said the would-be burglar was actually a tree;"

"A woman returning home found her TV “missing” and called police. She called 911 again to say someone, possibly her husband, had simply moved it;"

"A person on Gallatin Road reported a duck at large. The person was worried that the duck might cause a traffic accident;"

“'Some type of animal head' was in the southbound lane of North 19th Avenue;"

"A tall, skinny man was going through garbage cans in the alley behind Tracy Avenue around 10:30 a.m. and every time he bent over, his pants fell down and he was not wearing any underwear;" and,

"A motorist was having difficulty passing a horse running down Norris Road at 11:55 a.m."

I like the part about the horse running down the road at 11:55 AM ... around here, it's usually just the backside.

Check out the Bozeman Chronicle Police Reports. You won't have to wait until Cartoon Saturday to get your ya-ha's for the week.

And if Amanda decides to rescind the offer of her spare room, I may move to Bozeman.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Yeah lets go to Bozeman!

Amanda said...

LOL! It sounds like an interesting place to visit.

I like the one about the woman and her TV....

Mike said...

I know people that live in small towns and it's amazing what gets printed in the local papers.

fiona said...

Sounds like my kind of town, I'd stick in an extra "o" = Boozeman but other than that?
Heck the residents here appear to be way smarter than my friends here in Cali!

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I recently read a similar list from baketown about Bakersfield's headlines. Cracked me up. It was titled "yee-haw" if that gives you any indication of what Bakersfield is like.

Anyways, I loved these too.