Thursday, October 02, 2008

Thursday Thirteen: A Few Good Quotes

The vice-presidential wannabees will debate tonight. I bought a six pack of Magic Hat's Circus Boy beer last night to help me watch. Thanks to my wonderful daughter for introducing me to this fine antidote to political nonsense.


Amanda usually does a "Thursday Thirteen" theme, and I decided to pick up on it to help keep me from mumbling incoherently about the economy and the election. Herewith thirteen random quotations from my vast collection. Any implied political commentary is purely intentional...

1. "Furious activity is no substitute for understanding."
- H. H. Williams

2. "I tried writing for the public, but the public ignored me. So then I tried writing for the critics, but the critics ignored me. Now I write for myself. And now my self ignores me."
- John Alejandro King, a.k.a. The Covert Comic

3. "Honesty pays, but it doesn't seem to pay enough to suit some people."
- Kin Hubbard

4. "Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all."
- Henry David Thoreau

5. "It's not the voting that's democracy; it's the counting."
- Tom Stoppard

6. "After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."
- Unknown

7. "Any doctrine that will not bear investigation is not a fit tenant for the mind of an honest man."
- Robert G. Ingersoll

8. "Many a man has fallen in love with a girl in a light so dim he would not have chosen a suit by it."
- Maurice Chevalier

9. "Many years ago in a period commonly known as next Friday Afternoon there lived a king who was very gloomy on Tuesday mornings because he was so sad thinking about how unhappy he had been on Monday and how completely mournful he would be on Wednesday."
- Walt Kelly

10. "The reformer is always right about what is wrong. He is generally wrong about what is right."
- G.K. Chesterton

11. "As scarce as truth is, the supply is always greater than the demand."
- Josh Billings

12. "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
- George Orwell

13. "Things on the whole are much faster in America; people don't stand for election, they run for office."
- Jessica Mitford

Go out and say something worth quoting. Chances are, nobody will do it during tonight's debate.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo.

3 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

6 and 8 are my favorites :)

Amanda said...

Great list! I think I like #11 best.

Mike said...

"I came, I read, I left"
Me