Monday, March 23, 2009

Coats of Arms

A while back, I wrote a popular post called "My Title's Better Than Your Title," about the titles we give ourselves to boost our sense of self-importance. My choice was the title I'd seen on a reserved parking place at a local fraternal lodge: Illustrious Potentate.

But having a good title is only part of being a big shot. To be a big shot of real caliber, you also need a coat of arms.

No, Mike, not an overgarment for an octopus - something to put on my shield, my business cards, and other stuff. Something with roaring lions, prancing unicorns, flying griffins, and an appropriate, manly motto. But what would be an appropriate coat of arms for me?

A little research provided a possible idea: a debtor rampant on a field of unpaid bills.

No. It's accurate, but too depressing.

I know! How about this:The motto: Bilbo is crazy, with (his) hair always on fire.

Yep, that'll work. But this is an important decision, not to be made lightly. I think I'll give it some more thought. Your ideas are accepted, as long as they don't include any comments about including a bar sinister.

Any thoughts?

Special note: I'll be traveling to Colorado Springs on business, flying out at an ungodly hour tomorrow morning...thus, tomorrow's post won't be done until I get there and get settled in my hotel. Those of you who tend to check at this time of day will be disappointed...calm down, and check back later. I'll be here.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

Amanda said...

That certainly is a crazy looking coat of arms!

I suppose these days people would put their coat of arms on the back of their cell phones, and maybe their laptops.

Oh and their work badges! You might need to use a real photo of yourself then....

fiona said...

@ Amanda - You might need to use a real photo of yourself then....

*whispers* that IS a "real" photo of our dear Bilbo!

@ Bilbo What's with the LATIN? huh? You big shot you! LOL

wv- enther - People with lisps should alway stick to saying "Come In" !

John A Hill said...

I like the coat of arms. I'll need to find one for myself.

wv: enespere the large area around a large persons navel. Also spelled innysphere. (in the case of pregnant women it's often an outyspere!)

Mike said...

"bar sinister - a mark of bastardy; lines from top right to bottom left"

So if there's an X on the shield does that mean the person is bipolar?

I'm going to be scoping out 'coats of arms' now.

Wv: noenlia - stop enlia stop!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I like your motto. Hope you have a good trip

Melissa B. said...

I need a crest...thanks! Now I have a "project" to work on!