Monday, June 29, 2009

Good Careers with Bad Reputations

With the economy as bad as it is, people aren't being very choosy about the kinds of jobs they're willing to take on. The jokes about English majors learning to ask "do you want fries with that?" aren't as funny as they used to be, and I knew it was getting really difficult when I took a cab the other day, and the driver spoke English.

Yep, it's tough.

It's so tough that you can now find articles like this one from Yahoo News: Good Careers with Bad Reputations. For those of you looking for a career change (or even a career, period), here's the list:

Mortgage Broker. The term "broker" doesn't actually refer to your financial condition after you take the advice of an individual who tries to get you to buy more property than you can afford. But if you don't mind making people house-poor, there are plenty of openings here.

Executive Recruiter. Think about it ... with so many CEOs and CFOs in jail, someone's got to find the next generation of white-collar crooks.

Publicist. If you excelled at baby-sitting hyperactive and undisciplined two-year-olds, this is the job for you! The world is full of self-important celebrities who need someone to convince the world they're as great as they think they are.

Insurance Sales Agent. Can you play the guilt card on people, and blame property losses on "acts of God" with a straight face? Can you read and write Old Church Slavonic, the official language of the insurance industry? Here's your new career!

And the ever popular,

Tax Collector. If you can reconcile plummeting home values with steady or rising property tax bills, and if you can outrun howling mobs waving pitchforks and torches, governments at all levels always need new tax collectors. Who needs to be popular, anyhow?

Don't like any of these? You could always watch Dirty Jobs on The Discovery Channel, and take your chances.

Or you could just repeat after me: "Would you like fries with that?"

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

7 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Then there's my job....

Amanda said...

You'd think that people weren't choosy in this economic climate but I recently came across a Gen Y-er who quit his job and has his heart set on one (and only this particular one) job only. He tells me he's being "focused".

Debbie said...

My first husband enjoyed great vacations, expensive clothes, and a free ride through graduate school with me supporting him as an insurance agent. Don't knock it 'til you tried it. There's someone on every corner who will bet they will die early and make lots of money on their life insurance.

John A Hill said...

I've never been too picky about what job I have. It's just about buying the groceries and paying the bills. I've had some really tough jobs. I like the one I have now. I plan on keeping it for another 2yrs, 6 mos, 9 days.

Melissa B. said...

My husband is self-employed, and I know exactly what you're talking about. We're all having to look at employment thru a different lense these days, that's for sure.

BTW, my youngest just launched a photo blog, and I'm shamelessly trolling for traffic. Please visit my site to see what she's got going, and pay her a visit!

Mike said...

I had a friend that was an IRS agent. Nobody liked to see him show up at their business.

Mrs. Geezerette said...

Oh, shoot Mike, I was planning to write about the much feared and loathed IRS agent. I'll go ahead anyway. A friend of ours became an IRS agent. Later she complained that people used to like her before she made that her career, but not anymore.

Now to insurance agents and their "BAAAAAAD REPUTATIONS." My husband has worked in the insurance industry for over 30 years. He has his own insurance agency. He works exclusively for one insurance company that is the cream of the crop. He does not sell anything in the insurance line to anyone who does not truly need it. He always keeps in mind what is best for the individual policyholder. His staff is trained to do the same. Consequently, his policyholders like and respect him and his staff. His business philosophy in a nutshell: "If you take care of your policyholders, they will take care of you." He has been able to provide well for his family as a result. It has been a good life. It was an excellent career choice. I am thankful.