Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bon Appetit...Sort Of...

It's Sunday morning, and I should still be in bed. However, since this is a Grandchildren Day, I needed to get up early to get ready (shower, walk the dog, make sure the camera is charged up and the memory card empty, etc). Life's tough, eh?

Just wanted to quickly call your attention to this article I saw on CNN this morning: Supplier Recalls Frozen Vegetables Due to Glass Fragments.

Glass fragments?

I think we're all used to the horror stories about the things Federal regulations allow to be included in our food (see more information here), but glass? I'm reminded of the old joke about the guy who fed his dog nothing but ground glass until the day a country singer wrote a song about it: "How Much is that Window in the Doggie?"

Anyhow...

If you read the linked article from Sixwise.com, you will find that the Food and Drug Administration agrees with a scientist quoted for the article, who says of insect and rodent parts accidentally caught up in our food, "...They're actually pretty healthy ... If we were more willing to accept certain defect levels such as insects and insect parts, growers could reduce pesticide usage. Some of the spraying that goes on is directly related to the aesthetics of our food."

So if I understand this correctly, we can either eat things we'd rather not think about, or get slowly poisoned. Isn't that wonderful.

Of course, if you've been camping (I mean, hard-core wilderness camping, not pulling the RV onto a pad with electrical and water and sewer hookups and cable TV), you know that "stuff" in your food is what you learn to expect. I ate a lot of pine needles and dirt while camping in the Sangre de Cristo mountains of Colorado many years ago (and who knows what might have been in that stream water we all drank?), yet I'm still here and relatively healthy.

So I guess we just have to accept some accidental protein as the cost of the convenience of processed foods...

...although I have to admit that I just can't see the glass fragments, ha, ha.

Have a good day. Enjoy your breakfast. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

3 comments:

Mike said...

Now I'm going to have to eat with my eyes closed.

Raquel's World said...

Great. I guess I'll be skipping breakfast.

KathyA said...

OMG I can't stop laughing at "How Much Is That Window In The Doggie"!!

Yeah, I'd rather not think about it...