Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Death of Elizabeth Taylor, Among Other Things

Tempus is certainly fugiting, isn't it? Yet another larger-than-life Hollywood icon has crossed the river with the death yesterday, at age 79, of Elizabeth Taylor (yes, that was her real name). I remember watching her on the Big Screen in classics like Cleopatra ...


They're not making stars like that any more.

On other fronts, members of Congress, having loudly shouted for the President to do something! about Libya are now loudly shouting at him for doing something about Libya. What a bunch of dumbasses ... did you think this would be cheap and bloodless? I tried to warn you, but who listens to me?

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating an incident early yesterday morning in which two airliners carrying a total of 165 passengers and crew landed safely at Washington's Reagan National Airport after being unable to contact the control tower. Ouch.

And finally, I have to share this offering from the wonderful blog Indexed:

That young lady really does know how to hit the nail right on the head, doesn't she?

Well, it's going to be a long and potentially very expensive day as I take our car in for routine servicing and investigation of the wickedly unhelpful "Check Engine" light that has been winking redly at us from the dashboard since last Sunday. Every time I take our car in for servicing, the owner of the shop sends his assistant out to fetch more zeroes for the estimate. I think I need a horse.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo


5 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

On a plus...engine lights usually are something emissions related and not actually engine related.

Mike said...

Make sure your gas cap is not loose. That will turn the check engine light on.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Of the plethora of information on Elizabeth Taylor over the last 24 hrs I found this comment of hers the most interesting “I only slept with the men I married. how many women can say that?” very interesting.
Then I realized is that all I gleaned from all of this coverage? Shame on me.

John A Hill said...

So now the FAA (and the rest of the country) knows what happens when you use a supervisor to do a controller's job!

KathyA said...

I know where you can get a horse...