Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Places I Have and Have Not Been

I'm a pretty well-traveled fellow. Thanks to a career in the Air Force, a love of travel, and a family spread out over a large area, I have meandered across Western Europe, much of the US, parts of Canada, and as far south as Mexico and Panama. Not too bad, although the list of other places I'd like to visit before shuffling off my mortal coil remains long.

The other day my brother Mark in Florida forwarded me a clever e-mail titled The Places I Have and Have Not Been, which cleverly summarizes some other locations I have either already been, or yet may find myself. I've added one or two of my own locations to the list, so let's take the trip together, eh? ...

I have been in many places, but I've never been in Cahoots. Apparently, you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone.

I've also never been in Cognito. I hear no one recognizes you there.

I have, however, been in Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to be driven there. I have made many trips there, thanks to my friends, family and work.

I would like to come to Conclusions, but you have to jump, and I'm not too much on physical activity anymore.

I have also been in Doubt. That is a sad place to go, and I try not to visit there too often.

I've been in Flexible, but only when it was very important to stand firm.

Sometimes I'm in Capable, and I go there more often as I'm getting older.

One of my favorite places to be is in Suspense. It really gets the adrenalin flowing and pumps up the old heart ... and at my age I need all the stimuli I can get.

From time to time I have been in Communicado, but I try to make sure I have my cell phone, a package of writing paper, and a good pen when I go there so I don't get lonely.

And sometimes I think I am in Vincible, but life shows me I am not!

More and more often I find myself in Dignant ... I frequently go there when I read the news coming out of Washington (most of the people who should be working there are in Ane, anyhow).

I have been in Deepshit many times; the older I get, the easier it is to get there.

I'm sure we've probably seen each other in one or two of these places.


And that's how ... and where ... it is for this rainy, chilly morning here in Northern Virginia. No matter what the weather, though, you need to hurry up and finish that shopping for your Thanksgiving dinner - the stores will only get more crowded the longer you wait.

Have a good day, no matter where you have it. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'm in denial.

Happy Thanksgiving Bill!
I'm off to Wegmann's for that holiday food you mentioned.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Does the expression "in brief" apply to one form of underwear?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mike said...

'finish that shopping'

That would be buying gas to be able to drive to my MIL's house.

She lives in Corrigible. ... Wait, does that mean she's actually correct?

Duckbutt said...

There are modes of travel you can also try: go mad, go commando, fly by night,take French leave.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Here I thought this was going to be a Seussical post :P