Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Sam Had the Right Idea


I have a lot of things to do this morning, including putting on eighteen layers of heavy clothes for the arctic trek to the bus stop, so in honor of the Polar Vortex I'll just share this version of one of my favorite poems - the classic Yukon tall tale The Cremation of Sam McGee. I do a much better reading of it myself* [pats self on back], but this one's not bad ...



Have a good day. Stay warm. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* I enjoy reading poetry aloud ... a few of my favorites to read are Ernest Lawrence Thayer's Casey at the Bat, Edward R. Sill's The Fool's Prayer, Dylan Thomas's Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, and - as you now know - The Cremation of Sam McGee.

4 comments:

Duckbutt said...

My daughter loved me to read an illustrated version of the Cremation of Sam McGee. One of her teachers opinioned that it was not a proper poem for a young child.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I love those poems. My Dad read some of those, and Edward Lear and Ogden Nash poems when I was a preschooler.

Keep warm, Bilbo!

Grand Crapaud said...

Those poems were meant to be read aloud.

Big Sky Heidi said...

Keep warm, Bilbo!

The Tennessee that Sam McGee pined for was having near-zero temps for the past few days.

By way of contrast, the folks in Bozeman, MT don't call off school unless the temps go below -20.