Sunday, December 28, 2014

Poetry Sunday


I still remember the feeling of overwhelming shock when I suddenly realized that, for the first time, I was a father. All of a sudden, I was the one responsible for so many things, not the least of which was preparing a new human being to take his place in the world. This poem by David Ignatow captures some of that feeling that I still feel, even now that I'm a grandfather ...

Lost Childhood
by David Ignatow

How was it possible, I a father
yet a child of my father? I
grew panicky and thought
of running away but knew
I would be scorned for it
by my father. I stood
and listened to myself
being called Dad.

How ridiculous it sounded,
but in front of me, asking
for attention—how could I,
a child, ignore this child's plea?
I lifted him into my arms
and hugged him as I would have
wanted my father to hug me,
and it was as though satisfying
my own lost childhood.


Being a parent is an awesome responsibility. I like to flatter myself that I did the best I could in a job that comes without any instructions other than the example set by my own parents. You'll have to ask the children how well I did.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

P.S. - Here's your update on the balloting for Ass Clown of the Year:

In first place with 34 votes - ISIS/"The Islamic State;"

Moving up to second place with 34 votes - The Republican Congressional Leadership;

Dropping to third place with 31 votes - former vice president Dick Cheney;

In fourth place with 14 votes - The Taliban; and,

Advancing to fifth place with 13 votes - The Democratic Congressional Leadership.

Other nominees who have received at least one vote are:

Texas Senator Ted Cruz - 8 (dropped from fifth place as of this morning);
The News Media - 4;
Vladimir Putin - 3;
Kentucky Senator Mitch McConnell - 2
The Supreme Court - 2;
and, with one vote each:
The American Voter; California Representative Nancy Pelosi"Sluggo" (perhaps Heidi can explain this one); Hillary Clinton; and, The Murderer of the New York Police Officers.

You still have four more days to cast your votes, but don't wait until the last minute! Your voice may be drowned out in most elections by the tsunami of money from the rich, the powerful, and their PACs and Super Pacs, but this election is slanted in your favor - Chicago Rules voting applies, so hurry up and cast as many votes as you wish, as often as you like, for the Ass Clown(s) of your choice. The polls close at midnight on New Year's Eve, so vote early and vote often - the results will be announced in this blog on January 1st.

B.

7 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A nice, thoughtful poem. I wonder, though, if being a child is in some ways a learning experience for parenthood some day. That's how you learn to be a mother or father. (I'm not a parent yet).

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'll vote for ISIS, Putin, the murder of the police officers. And who is Sluggo, anyway?

Bilbo said...

Angel - no rush on that being-a-parent thing! And how many votes would you like to cast for each of your nominees (we are using Chicago Rules, remember?).

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

I'll cast three votes for the MIT economist who mouthed off about the American voter. Throw in two votes for ISIS, and a pity vote for Joe Biden.

lotta joy said...

With this attitude, I cannot but wish this was happening in our capitol.

president Vladimir Putin announced the cancellation of holiday vacations for government ministers as a result of the deteriorating condition of the economy.

Mike said...

10 more votes for Dick Cheney.

allenwoodhaven said...

I thought to cast a vote against intolerant people, but realized it was too broad a concept.

5 votes for Ted Cruz
2 votes for Dick Cheney
3 murderers of police (and anyone else)