Sunday, July 26, 2015

Poetry Sunday


As I approach retirement for the second time (about 311 working days from now, not that I'm counting), I have to decide what it is I want to do when I grow up. Maybe Mike can give me some advice. Or maybe I ought to think more carefully about my options, as in this poem by Ron Koertge ...

Bad News About My Vocation 
by Ron Koertge 

I remember how the upper crust in my hometown
pronounced it-care-a-mel. Which is correct, I guess,
but to everybody else it was carmel.

Which led to the misconception about the order
of Carmelites.

I imagined they served God by heating sugar
to about 170 C, then adding milk and butter
and vanilla essence while they listened
to the radio.

I thought I could do that. I could wear the white
shirt and pants. I knew I couldn’t be good
but I might be a good candy maker.

So imagine my chagrin when I learned about
the vows of poverty and toil enjoined
by these particular friars.

I also crossed off my list the Marshmellowites
and the Applepieites, two other orders I
was thinking of joining.


Well, I guess there's always the Ginandtonicites.

Have a good day, and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That's a funny poem! A religious order based on apple pie is all-American!

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

I don't think they will get many takers, despite the sweetness!

Mike said...

My guess is you're retiring on Wednesday October 19, 2016.
Ginandtonicites is a googlewhack.

Gonzo Dave said...

Get a motorcycle. Scare the hell out of your family.

Linda Kay said...

Already at retirement age, I can tell you I have seen many unusual pursuits. Many have hidden desires that pop out when they finally get to leave the workplace. Around Fredericksburg in Texas, it seems to be the motorcycle, as Dave mentioned. Probably not a good idea in the city, however....or you could move to the wide open countryside!

allenwoodhaven said...

Amusing poem!