Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Five Responses


As I've written before, and as I'm sure you're tired of hearing, I am utterly sick and disgusted at the disgraceful circus of the presidential campaign. For the first time since I cast my first vote for president (for Richard Nixon) back in the Stone Age, there is no candidate - of either party - I can fully support. There's not a single Republican worthy of being president, I don't like or fully trust Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders has a good basic philosophy and good ideas, but is probably more to the left than I think the country is ready to go.

But let's talk about Mr Sanders for a moment, because the reaction to his positions on issues from the right has been even more shrill (if less outright hateful) than the reaction to Hillary Clinton, who is despised on general principles. I found this meme on the Internet yesterday which I thought was worth sharing* because it offers cogent, calm responses to five of the most common criticisms directed against Mr Sanders' philosophies and positions ...


As to #2 above, I don't particularly think that big business is entitled to my hard-earned money either ... but Congress delivers it to them by the ton as corporate welfare, and I don't very often hear anyone on the right criticizing that sort of obvious and obnoxious welfare.

Now, I am not a total supporter of Bernie Sanders, but I think he's the only person running for president who clearly understands the root causes of America's problems, and has a clear, unwavering, and consistent approach to solving them. He's not a bald-faced opportunist like Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, or an egotistical religious bigot like Ted Cruz.  He's far from perfect, but I think he's the best of a terrible crowd.

Which, sadly, isn't saying much.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* Despite the usual selection of to-be-expected-on-the-Internet misspellings.

7 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I feel the Bern too!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Bern is the voice of reason in this election

John A Hill said...

Unfortunately, the established dems are not feeling the Bern.

Anemone said...

I like Bern. He is more avuncular than scary, unlike the others.

Mike said...

I think the Bern may wind up as VP.

Duckbutt said...

Bern as VP? That would be a twist.

Banana Oil said...

I'm still amazed with the Florida primary.