Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Inka, Dinka, Doo


Just a brief rant for today: I bought a set of new ink cartridges for Agnes's printer at Costco yesterday for $79.99.

Consider the economics of ink ...

The three color cartridges (cyan, magenta, and yellow) hold (on average) about 8 ml of ink each, while the black one holds 14 ml, giving a total volume of ink in the package of approximately 22ml*. At a total cost of $79.99, this means that printer ink costs about $3.64/ml. If there are 3,785 ml in a gallon, this means printer ink costs about $13,777/gallon.

Forget prescription drug coverage ... I need ink insurance.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* My source of the ink volume figures is this Hewlitt-Packard webpage. The packaging does not tell you how much ink is in each cartridge.  

5 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Ow! Those prices hurt!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh,Bill how I feel your pain. Get this -Purchased 4 cartridges for my color printer and 1 for my old workhorse that is only black. Both HP. Hundreds of dollars!! I can buy shoes for less, hell, tires for my car for less.

Then after spending all of this I get a call from a young start-up company in Richmond. They would like to show me how they can give me the same cartridges without the high cost. They claim they will last just as long. They are off names they tell me but will work just fine. But my color printer won't allow any other ink to be put in. Tried it. The printer says,NO, wrong print cartridges, not HP and like a spoiled child refuses to work. Great!
But it did save me $50 on the old workhorse and damn if it doesn't work just perfectly.

Mike said...

I haven't had a color printer for years. I just have a b/w laser.

The Bastard King of England said...

Buying color ink can be a rip-off.

Chuck the Grumpy Cat said...

Is it trite to say tha6 I've felt your pain?