Thursday, January 19, 2017

How On Earth Did I Miss This One?


Actually, I didn't miss it ... it just fell in a stretch of days for which I'd already had posts planned. But lest we fail to give it its proper due, last Sunday, January 15th, was National Hat Day.

Hats are one of our oldest forms of dress, and serve many uses: they provide protection against the sun in summer, keep the head warm in winter, cover bald spots*, designate a person's rank or social position, and serve ceremonial uses, such as the miter or biretta** worn by a clergyman.

Few men nowadays wear hats unless they're baseball caps with sports team logos or silly slogans on them***. Nevertheless, I predict that hats are about to make a major comeback with the coming of the new administration; here's a look at some of the stylish headgear you'll be seeing as the Trumpsters take charge ...






Get yours now. "Make America Great Again" engraving is optional.

Have a good day. See you tomorrow for Great Moments in Editing and Signage. More thoughts then.

Bilbo

* Not that I would know anything about that.

** No, Second Amendment enthusiasts, not Beretta. A biretta is a hat worn by a Roman Catholic clergyman, whereas a Beretta is a handgun.

*** And who decided it was okay to wear them backwards, or crooked?

3 comments:

Mike said...

I wear a baseball cap when I'm going to be out in the sun for more than a few minutes to protect my face from the evil sun. I probably should be wearing a sombrero. That's it! A sombrero covered in tin foil. The space station will be able to spot me. I would probably block out all the antenna TVs for a 10 mile radius.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Now the third one has a lot of panache to it! The fifth one makes the wearer look like a Hershey's Kiss.

allenwoodhaven said...

That first photo took me by surprise. What a great set of hats!

I have many hats, collected over the years. Most are baseball cap varieties with different logos.
Wearing a good hat is important, especially for those those of us with a bald spot.